Sunday, May 12, 2019

Poor Clyde

Last week, I saw the Columbus Zoo's African grey parrots outside for the first time this year. The viewing deck is about five feet above the ground, and I looked down after I heard a rustle followed by a thump-splat. A parrot had made a hard landing and began to climb the mesh.


Clyde, a gray parrot with a red tail, climbs his enclosure's fencing.
Clyde climbs.
 Later I learned the parrot's name is Clyde.


A closeup of Clyde's head in profile.
Clyde approaches my eye level.
Clyde's tail was in bad shape, and I assumed this year's feathers hadn't come in yet.


Clyde's tail feathers are ragged and torn.
Clyde's tail feathers
Then I observed a crime.


A parrot at the top of the picture holds two red feathers in its beak. Clyde is at the bottom.
A comrade has plucked two of Clyde's tail feathers.
(I assume plucking another's feather is a bird crime. Given the importance of feathers, plucking one from another must be a grave insult at the very least.)

Clyde suffered more harassment.


The tormentor nips at Clyde's head.


The tormentor pulls on Clyde's wing.


Keepers arrived and discussed the situation: "I think it's Clyde." "He doesn't fly very well." "Is he bleeding?" They put Clyde into a carrier and took him inside for examination by a veterinarian. 

1 comment:

  1. I've learned that Clyde is okay and back with the flock. Because he doesn't fly well, and the floor in the indoor, winter enclosure is concrete, Clyde is kept in a separate cage. Every spring there is a flock-Clyde reintroduction that is not always smooth.

    ReplyDelete