Monday, December 19, 2022

Focus Stacking - Mushroom

I've been using PaintShop Pro 2019 and have been mostly happy with it. I use it mainly to crop pictures and add a watermark to the pictures I post on Instagram. It often puts up a nag screen that says I should upgrade but I haven't had a reason to. I did check out what's new in 2023, though, and found that it supports focus stacking.

In effect, focus stacking software provides a greater depth of field than a camera can provide. It takes two or more images of the same subject, each of which is focused at a different point, and merges them. This is especially useful in macro photography where the depth of field might be a few millimeters. I tried it on a mushroom, and it turned out pretty well.

The stacked image

I fed two pictures into the software.


f/4.8  1/320s  ISO 400  100mm macro lens

1 comment: