Thursday, September 12, 2024

More Magnification!

Previously, I expressed a need for more magnification. Now I have it in the form of a set of three extension tubes. These attach between the camera body and the lens and somehow permit closer focusing. There are no optics involved; these things are basically empty spacers with electrical contacts that let the camera and lens communicate.

 

The closest I can get with my 100mm macro lens.


The same ruler with the macro lens and 56mm of extension tubes (yeah, I blew the focus).

Woo-hoo! I can get shots of small bugs!

Not quite. As with many things in photography, there is a trade-off. Yes, there is greater magnification, but the penalties are an even shallower depth of field, a need for more light, and magnified camera shake. The one that has been cooking my shorts the most is depth of field.

I started out using all three extension tubes and could barely orient myself. I looked through the viewfinder and couldn't find the bug that was 16 inches away from my eyes. When I did find it, I couldn't get a decent shot because it popped in and out of focus so easily. If I managed to settle in and shoot a burst for a focus stack, I found that I moved the camera too much and parts of the bug were not in focus in any of the shots.

I would have to improve my technique or use a tripod, but a tripod isn't handy for insects that move.

Something that has helped is not using all the extension tubes. I usually want maximum magnification, but if I can't take a good picture maximum magnification doesn't do any good.

Here's another illustration of the magnification. My neighbor had a bald-faced wasp's nest (or white-faced hornet or bald-faced hornet or a bunch of other names) in a garage light, and I obtained one of the fallen comrades before the exterminator arrived.

Macro lens only

Macro lens and 36mm extension tube, focus stack of 5 images

No comments:

Post a Comment