Friday, January 15, 2021

Backyard bugs

Here are some bugs from around my house. I've always thought "bug" was just a colloquial term, but it turns out a true bug is a thing. I started out wanting only to take pictures, but I keep learning stuff, dang it.

summer azure butterfly

Blinded sphinx moth. Crummy picture of an interesting moth.

Large milkweed bug (a true bug!). It's not on a milkweed, but the missing gardener says the plant is related to milkweed.


large milkweed bug nymphs

thread-waisted wasp

spotted cucumber beetle


green bottle fly?

Monarch caterpillar, also not on milkweed. I think that's poop (frass) in the bottom-right corner.

I can get some good shots of bugs with the lenses I have, but I end up cropping-out a lot of the image. For example, the caterpillar represents about a fourth of the entire image. I'm happy with the used D7000 and telephoto lens I bought from mpb.com, so I'm looking for a used macro lens for closer shots of bugs. I dithered (not unusual) between two and had pretty much decided on one, but all disappeared from the store before I clicked to buy (also not unusual).

3 comments:

  1. Really good shots Steve. Colors are impressive. Like the catepillar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bugs!! Such tiny creatures with such intricate designs, great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well shot pics Steve. Such detailed shots.

    ReplyDelete