Sunday, January 24, 2021

Marine fish

I went to the Columbus Zoo last week. The black bears weren't out, there was no polar bear action, the brown bears were sleeping, and the songbird aviary was closed. So I went to the aquarium.

I tried to get a better picture of these guys...

unknown species

but they turned away right when I pushed the button.

 

That happened several times, and I wondered what the heck I was doing. I finally figured out that the fish were reacting to the focus-assist light. I never use a flash at a zoo because it's mean, but I hadn't disabled the focus-assist light, which helps the autofocus system in low light. I stopped bothering those fish.

I did get a few decent shots.

sohal surgeonfish

threadfin snapper

zebra shark

A spotted zebra? These sharks are brownish and have stripes when they're young. They turn grayish and lose the stripes as they mature. These sharks aren't mature, I guess.


pennant coralfish


1 comment: