Monday, July 5, 2021

A couple of flyers

This 17-year cicada was on the wall of a ticket building at the Columbus Zoo, and a damselfly was in my back yard on a forsythia bush. There were no cicadas at my house. Which is fine.

I wonder if this member of cicada Brood X spent some time in a spiderweb. Notice the light-colored diagonal line about as far behind the eyes as where the wings are attached.

There's schmutz on the outstretched wingtip.

 
There's what might be a web strand attached to the tip of the wing.

I shot the cicada with my macro lens and was maybe six inches from the bug. The lens is my hammer, and I am looking for nails. One nail is a certain gecko which is at the center of a project that so far is not going well.

But who needs a macro lens when there's a zoom lens extended to 300mm and a photographer standing three feet away from the subject?

ebony jewelwing, male

Look at this picture and the next one on a big screen or zoom in to see what look like long hairs on the legs.


3 comments:

  1. I don’t have a macro lens, but find the zoom works ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cicadas were deafening at the zoo during June. The place in the zoo that is normally the quietest (in North America by the bald eagle and bison) was one of the noisiest. All is back to normal now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good shots but not a fan of the bug world! :)

    ReplyDelete