Monday, August 9, 2021

Columbus July 31

I was heading toward boredom with the Columbus Zoo, but I think that's because I've been going around noon. On my most recent trip I arrived at 8:00 and was rewarded.

This is Brian, a greater one-horned rhinoceros

This is a sloth bear, which someone on Instagram called a "lips bear." I had not heard that name, but the bear is also known as a "labiated bear" because of its long bottom lip.

Two sloth bears were outside, one male and one female. They apparently don't get along and there was some grunting at one another. I don't know which is which in these photos.


A Pallis' cat, of which I'd finally gotten a decent picture in May, was running around its enclosure, going so far as to come to the glass.



The baby Asian elephant's mom, Phoebe, spent quite some time throwing dirt on herself before she began eating from the net above her.

Phoebe's boy played with his ball. He's about age seven weeks. His name, Frankie, was announced August 26.


A blue-and-yellow macaw. I think it was trying to move to the wooden structure to the left but gave up. In my limited experience, zoo parrots would much rather climb than hop or fly to go somewhere. They use their beaks to hang on, but the tree branch is fake so it probably could not get a good grip. Or the bird was just stretching its leg.

 

3 comments: