Saturday, January 21, 2023

Columbus January 9

More from January 9th.

Bodega. He's a California sea lion that's about 26 years of age and is a lot bigger than the females in the tank. Males develop a bump on their heads as they mature.

Harbor seal. Unless the animal is close to the glass, it looks blue.

More Sunshine

The Animal Encounters Village has a rotating selection of animals. There's a tank near the entrance that has had penquins, otters, and a duck.

Melvin. She's a domesticated duck that will follow a person along the glass.

These blue-and-yellow macaws were preening partners.


sand cat

Stingray Bay is across from the Village's exit, so I wandered in before I left the zoo. Volunteers outnumbered visitors three-to-one and I was the one. I didn't have any interest in touching the rays, but one of the volunteers was very enthusiastic and I kept hanging around, so what else could I do?

Mostly, the cownose rays bumped my hand. What looks like a mouth in the video is related to suction that's used to get food into its mouth, which is on the underside.



3 comments:

  1. A fun visit it appears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re braver then I Steve. I know they’re gentle but that tail. Shivers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The barbs are clipped as they grow back.

    ReplyDelete