Thursday, January 12, 2023

Sunshine

I went to the Columbus Zoo January 9. I didn't have a solid plan, but I thought I'd visit the bonobos and maybe the gorillas. I was prepared for reptiles with a tripod for more focus-stacking, but I'd been in the reptile building a couple of times recently. The parking lot always feels colder than the zoo itself and I was cold, so, once inside, I headed for the nearest indoor exhibit which is the tunnel in Adventure Cove.

I've been in the tunnel only a couple of times--I've seen enough seals and sea lions go zipping by. I find it hard to get decent pictures what with all the movement and light scattering that makes everything look blue.

There was a chatty volunteer, and I learned that California sea lion Sunshine was the one most likely to interact with people. I had seen this recently in Toledo (see Instagram) but she paid me little attention. There are often students around the zoo recording behavior, and there was one there, and she and Sunshine had some fun.




Photo and posting with permission



5 comments:

  1. So peaceful looking. She seems quite happy to interact with the woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d love to get in the water and play with them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice shots Steve. JA

    ReplyDelete