Monday, September 7, 2020

Neighborhood hawk

It's pretty common in my neighborhood to hear hawks or see them overhead. We've even had one on our fence a couple of times. I have a couple of older photos, but now I have a better camera and a longer lens.

The missing gardener alerted me to two hawks perched on the far side of our neighbors' back yard. I grabbed my camera and took horrible pictures of them through the window screen. Then I ran outside.

The hawk that had been on top of a utility pole was gone, but the other one, on wires, was still there.

a red-shouldered hawk

As I watched and took pictures, it became interested in something below.


Then...

To get closer, I ran out our gate to the neighbors' back patio--we are on good terms--and called out, but not soon enough to avoid startling them.

I don't know if its hunt was successful, but the hawk had returned to the wires and posed nicely.

 

It turned around for me, too.



2 comments:

  1. Excellent sequence of the four shots checking out the ground. Hope that it wasn't a careless chipmunk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the "spread wing" shot. Dive, dive!

    ReplyDelete